Deep vein thrombosis triggers
Editor(s)-In-Chief: The APEX Trial Investigators, C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D. ; Associate Editor(s)-In-Chief: Cafer Zorkun, M.D., Ph.D.  Kashish Goel, M.D.; Assistant Editor(s)-In-Chief: Justine Cadet; Rim Halaby, M.D. 
Deep Vein Thrombosis Microchapters
Deep vein thrombosis triggers On the Web
Venous thromboembolism (VTE) consists of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), pulmonary embolism (PE), or both. In these chapters on VTE, the word risk factors refers to those epidemiologic and genetic variables that expose someone to a higher risk of developing venous thrombosis. The word triggers refer to those factors in the patients immediate history or environment that may have led to the occurrence of the venous thrombosis. The triggers of VTE include injury to a deep vein from surgery, a fracture, or other trauma, especially a paralytic spinal cord injury. Another trigger for VTE is prolonged immobilization that causes stasis in the deep veins which may occur after surgery, prolonged bed-rest, or prolonged seating during travel.
|Strong triggers||Moderate triggers||Weak triggers|
|❑ Bone fracture (hip or leg)
||❑ Athroscopic knee surgery
||❑ Bed rest for more than 3 days |
❑ Prolonged car or air travel
Triggers for Upper Extremity DVT
Shown below is a list of triggers for upper extremity DVT:
- Repetitive trauma to the subclavian vein due to repetitive overhead arm movement
- Indwelling central venous catheter
- Trauma to the upper extremities
- Plaster cast
- Anderson FA, Spencer FA (2003). "Risk factors for venous thromboembolism". Circulation. 107 (23 Suppl 1): I9–16. doi:10.1161/01.CIR.0000078469.07362.E6. PMID 12814980. Unknown parameter
- Torbicki A, Perrier A, Konstantinides S, Agnelli G, Galiè N, Pruszczyk P; et al. (2008). "Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism: the Task Force for the Diagnosis and Management of Acute Pulmonary Embolism of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)". Eur Heart J. 29 (18): 2276–315. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehn310. PMID 18757870.
- Kucher N (2011). "Clinical practice. Deep-vein thrombosis of the upper extremities". N Engl J Med. 364 (9): 861–9. doi:10.1056/NEJMcp1008740. PMID 21366477.